Wem does not have a museum. By creating a virtual museum on the web, Wem Civic Society aims to identify and record sources of information, collect and collate that information, and place it on the web so that it is preserved and will be accessible to all.|
Project Outline: The drivers for change in Wem & Surrounds between 18th and 20th centuries:
(a) the impact of the Industrial Revolution on Food, Farming,
Industries & Trades, Transport including tools and buildings and (b) the effects of two World Wars.
War and Wem & the Surrounding Villages
The society would be interested in material relating to Wem & Surrounds during WWI.
- The men listed on the Wem War Memorial. Click here for further information.
- Outline information about the people listed in the WWI section of the Wem war Memorial. Click here for futher information.
- Outline information about the people listed in the WWII section of the Wem war Memorial. Click here for further information.
- Outline information about the people listed on war memorials in the villages surrounding Wem.
- The Theatres of War that led to their deaths; the context of the particular battle or operation
- The history of the Wem War Memorial, and Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Wem & Surrounds.
- Memories/anecdotes of the wars from Wemians and Surrounding Villagers.
- The Home Front.
Please contact Wem Civic Society, email@example.com, if you think that you can provide relevant information or wish to become involved in the project.
Food & Drink in Wem & Surrounding Villages, Farming, Markets and Shops, Industries & Trades, and Tools.
- Shops and markets
- Wem High Street but not as we know it - the story of its shops.
Your help would be appreciated in collecting these memories. Please click for access to a questionnaire.
- Brewing Heritage of Wem
- Farms and farming
- Rural Industries
- Tools: agricultural, craft and domestic tools from the past.
- Memories/anecdotes - food, farming and trades from Wemians and Surrounding Villagers.
Individuals and their stories.
COLLECTION OF MATERIAL:
- People: Reminiscences and Interviews - creating audio records
- Research foci: Databases, Newspaper files, Archives, Museums, Organisations.
- Formats: Photographs, Diaries, Adverts and Articles.
- Data (initially) to be available on Wem Local website.
For material already collected, click Historical Information
The society has been working with the Victorian County History project to produce a 'Wem Short'.